What is Organic Food?

Organic nutrition has become one of the trends of our century. Today laws are being considered as a way to reorganize the agriculture for the organic products’ cultivation. In short, this trend is discussed at the state level.

History of organic products

It is now quite difficult to answer where the idea of organic products originated from. There are versions that Prince Charles was a pioneer. In 1981, he acquired an estate in Gloucestershire, where he became personally involved in gardening, saying that the United Kingdom needed a higher level of agricultural development. He founded the company Duchy Organic, which produced organic products.

The second version also sends us to England, to the hippie subculture, which in the 60s actively promoted the idea that food should be healthy and natural.

The third version tells about the 40s of the 20th century, when Walter James published a book in which he expressed ideas about organic agriculture, contrasting it with chemical farming.What is organic food

What we have today?

Today, the idea of organic products is more or less framed and has a clear concept. Any products of plant or animal origin should be deprived of chemistry. That is, vegetables, fruits, herbs, cereals and other products should be grown in soil that has not been fertilized with harmful chemical chemicals and pesticides at least for 4 years.

Approximately the same idea is assigned to animal breeding. Animals should be fed exclusively with organic food, without chemical impurities, there is organic grass exclusively taken from ecologically clean land. The soil on which vegetables grow, and also on which cows graze, must be at a safe distance from plants and roads.

The production itself must exclude harmful technologies — for example, atomic fission, ultrasonic treatment, and gassing. The idea of products purified from GMOs, chemically synthesized preservatives, and various food additives meets the taste standards.

In many countries, special authoritative bodies for quality control and the conditions for creating such products have emerged. For example, in the European Union for more than 20 years, there is a so-called European Union regulation – an agreement that is signed by the producers of the participating countries. According to this establishment, a product is considered organic if its ingredients are 95% organic. The remaining 5% is an exception only because there is no way to grow them in a similar way.

In the percentage of organic products, today occupy only 1-2% of the global market, but forecasts for this direction development are optimistic. A consumer does not mind the cost of organic products if it helps the body to be healthier.

The benefits of organic nutrition

In 2009 and 2012, several studies were conducted that did not reveal differences in the nutrient content between organic and inorganic products. However, a new study published in the British journal Nutrition says that there is a significant difference in composition between organic and inorganic cultures. In particular, organic products have a higher level of antioxidants.

Such products contain twice as many vitamins, minerals, nutrients and biologically active substances in comparison with traditional products. They do not contain pesticides and GMOs. It is safe to treat children with organic food. There is no doubt that organic products are more useful in many aspects.

Today, the quality of the food has decreased significantly. A cheap and fast way of growing one or another product brings serious damage to its quality. Organic method is expensive, so the cost of the product increases significantly.

Organic label

The label “organic” means that this product is certified in accordance with organic standards. This label always contains the name of the organization that conducted the certification. Such a label informs the buyer about the types of standards were applied to the production, and what is the official status of this organization. There are many certification bodies in the world now, mainly private organizations established in Western Europe, the USA, and Japan (developed countries).

Category: General Issues

Tags: Farmers